For this blog post, you are going to be theorizing about knowledge and good ideas. After watching the Johnson video, creating your own poster of good ideas, and then reading piece on knowledge communities (by Jenkins), I want you to think about the following questions:
(1) do good ideas lead to knowledge?
(2) can there ever be new knowledge?
(3) where does knowledge fit into writing practices?Into your writing practices?
Use these questions as a springboard for your theorizing about knowledge, in other words, use the questions to help start your discussion of knowledge. Use the Jenkins' reading, the Johnson video, and your poster as evidence for your thinking/musing/theorizing.
*250-400 words
**Engage with others.
***Due: by class on Tuesday, October 22, 2013.

I feel that knowledge and ideas are fundamentally interconnected. You cannot have a really good idea with your past experiences and knowledge to base it on. Einstein did simply fabricate the Theory of Relativity, he spent years researching and learning about all the things he needed to know to invent it. It was based on the knowledge that science had previously acquired. Similarly, authors like J. K. Rowling, Stephen King, and Terry Pratchet did not invent their stories and characters from whole cloth. Many of their stories and plot points saw their origin in some random life event they may have seen or experienced, or something they learned in school. All of these people's writings and inventions, also count as new knowledge.
ReplyDeleteBy creating all these things, they led to new ideas, discoveries, and experiences. That's one thing which I feel Johnson neglected in his video. He talked about how people working together could achieve more, but he forgot that we all build on the past inventions and experiences of others, not just the direct knowledge of our friends.
Also, knew knowledge is clearly generated each and every day. The Survivor spoiler boards that Jenkins' article discussed could not have existed without the show. And that show wouldn't have existed without the invention of television. All this information is knew, created in the last century or so of humanity's existence. As new inventions and knew places are discovered, so we discover new information and knowledge.
I also see all my knowledge as important to my writing process. Just look in the previous paragraphs. I mention authors whose novels I have read, and I reference the information that Jenkins gave to us in his article. It would be impossible to write something like this blog post, or a research paper, or a novel without having knowledge and information about the outside world. The survivor spoilers could not have created such a vibrant online community, without all those people willing to take the time and effort to research locations and participants, or to comb through each and every episode, frame by frame.
In the end, knowledge is what is true, or what we believe to be true. Survivor spoilers endlessly discussed "insider knowledge," debating if it was true or not. Some people believed things that turned out o be false. And in numerous cases, blind dumb luck led to correct guesses. Knowledge, whether true or not, is generated by everyone. And what you incorporate into your own beliefs is up to you.
Your point on the "truth" of knowledge is really interesting. All of us have knowledge of something we believe to be true, when in reality it is not. The problem is we don't know what that stuff in our knowledge bank is. We never really know until somebody corrects us on it and introduces us to the correct knowledge. For example, if I think that I know how to do a calculus problem but I always do it wrong, I will never know until a teacher gives me an F or one of my friends shows me the right way. I didn't even really think about false knowledge until you brought it up, but it is fascinating. Good writing.
DeleteI agree with you when you talk about the importance of having knowledge and information about the outside world when it comes to write a relevant writing. Also, use quotations from famous authors would be impossible without background knowledge and usually quotes have weight in argumentation.
DeleteGreat point about how authors use previous knowledge while creating plots and characters, I didn't think of that. I like how you mention that Jenkins did not mention that we build off of previous inventions and ideas to create new ones. I don't think it be impossible to write though with out outside knowledge. I see this on Facebook and even some news articles where the author just needs to write something or get attention. It makes the author more credible, of course, if they know about the subject.
DeleteWhere does knowledge come from? If I had to think back to where my knowledge has come from, I would say everywhere. Knowledge can be acquired through various ways.
ReplyDeleteDo good ideas lead to knowledge? In some ways yes, yes they do. A good idea can lead to curiosity, which can lead to exploration ultimately causing you to gain knowledge. Going back to the Johnson video, he talks about how an idea starts, and sits for awhile (could be up to ten years) and then gets put into action the longer it resonates. After you begin to put this idea into play you learn through the process of making your idea become a reality. For example f I think up an idea, lets say that I have an idea that all the tables in the library could build 2 houses. I am curious about this idea of mine, so I decide out of curiosity to take all the tables in the library and attempt to build two houses.
Through the process of trying to create these two houses I am learning a lot about building houses, wood, how to cut wood, among other things leading to my gaining of knowledge about building houses. My idea led to me acquiring knowledge!
I think that there can always be new knowledge. There are a number of things that everyone experiences that isn’t new knowledge to the world, only to them. For example reading a textbook is giving you new knowledge but it has come from somewhere so it isn’t new to mankind. That being said, I do think that there can be new knowledge. Discoveries are still being made everyday; humans haven’t figured it all out. New knowledge is always being found; it’s just not as common to the average everyday citizen. Another way you can acquire new knowledge for yourself is by forming a “knowledge community” according to Jenkins. A knowledge community provides an atmosphere where people can share ideas and what they’ve learned with each other. This leads to the sharing of knowledge between people and this can also form new knowledge for the world. Many ideas start small and then grow when you have someone else to talk about them with according to Johnson!
When you are writing, more often than not you are using sources to support whatever you are arguing or writing about. But you are also using your own knowledge about life, and more specifically about the topic to form the argument. The knowledge you have on various topics can always be used in writing. If no one had knowledge, what would their writing be? It would be nothing, or very bland. We all have knowledge that comes out throughout our writing on almost every occasion!
For my personal definition of knowledge, I would say that knowledge is a compilation of every experience you’ve had, book you’ve read, and conversation you've engaged in. Your knowledge is everything that you have ever learned from anyone or anything. It comes from everywhere!
Hey Christine,
DeleteI think you make a good point on the discovery of new knowledge. Although new knowledge is being generated everyday, I know personally I will go days without seeing "real" new knowledge. However, personal new knowledge like learning how to fix a flat or trying a new food will occur everyday in your life. This is especially true if you are always talking with your friends and meeting new people with different perspectives. Good writing.
I believe that somehow ideas come from knowledge or at least knowledge allows understanding if it’s a good or a bad idea. So, where does knowledge come from? At first when I think about knowledge, I think about an outside source like the education of my parents, everything I learned from my teachers since I started school, information and learning from friends and different experiences…
DeleteBut when I think about all processes that led me to learn something, I realize that since I am in the driver’s seat of my life, I am the main actor of my knowledge. Actually I believe that most of knowledge I acquire now comes from my ideas. As Christine said, a good idea is supposed to raise curiosity and personal interest thus it leads to pursue research, live new experiences, meet new people and ultimately gain knowledge. For instance my good idea to come in US for studying leads me to acquiring a lot of knowledge.
New knowledge for the world is also happening everyday and it is the purpose of people who are working on research. For instance in scientific research, even if new knowledge is less about common things than in previous centuries, I believe that it leads to improve the future. Nowadays there is also a lot of new knowledge about communication. Jenkin’s article demonstrates that spoilers can use complex techniques in order to exchange knowledge in a community. It shows that new knowledge is fortunately still possible.
As part of my writing practices, knowledge is ubiquitous. Since I am writing about a specific topic, I need knowledge to be credible. Since I am writing in a rhetorical situation, I need knowledge to have relevant arguments and convince my audience. Also I believe that my knowledge lead the plan of my writing and helps me to be organized and figure out if the result is consistent with what I expected.
Knowledge is like a house which is never finished being built. The foundation has been made by my parent’s education, then school plays an important part, then all new experiences, learning from new connection with friends or fellows, new daily information acquire, and good ideas lead to extend the house.
You talking about how a basic idea, can develop into something more, a new invention or concept, really resonates with me. You can see that all over the world. So many of our best inventions start with just a single, simple idea. For example, there's the almost certainly apocryphal story of Isaac Newton, and the apple falling on his head. I'm not sure I understand your idea about the tables in the library building two houses though. I'm a little confused there...
DeleteI really like your definition of knowledge. It really is the combination of everything you know and have experienced. Your experiences help you low key get knowledge and learning from your mistakes is an example.
DeleteI agree with you when you say that you need using your own knowledge about life, and more specifically about the topic to form the argument. Everything we write should be resonated to our audiences. It needs our use many knowledge about life to evoke feelings of our audience.
DeleteIdeas and knowledge both influence each other. Knowledge gives way to formulating ideas because without any sort of background or prior knowledge, you cannot form new thoughts or concepts. However, new ideas themselves create new knowledge, such as the idea of the TV show Survivor mentioned in the Jenkins book. Survivor created a new form of knowledge to be obtained, that being the winners and losers of each episode. This new knowledge then stemmed the idea of “spoiling,” or figuring out who was booted off the show before it even aired. Knowledge and ideas form a continuous cycle where both influence one another to be created.
ReplyDeleteNew knowledge is a tricky concept, because even if somebody comes up with an idea that they think is original, it likely has already been thought of. However, Richard mentioned the TV earlier, and innovations such as these are new mediums for knowledge to be created. TVs play host to things like shows and video games, ideas that were not ever possible without the TV. Another invention like this is the camera. Without the invention of the camera, no knowledge about photography would ever have existed.
Knowledge fits into the writing process in many ways. For one, we are always trying to create innovative arguments that nobody has thoroughly explored before. Writers attempt to create new knowledge. Writers themselves are also always looking to acquire knowledge, such as relevant facts, definitions, or other opinions on their topic. When people read these writers’ arguments, they formulate new ideas on the topics themselves and keep the cycle going.
My writing process is similar to the video we watched on Steven Johnson. The turtle that he draws having the slow hunch and then combining with another turtle representing another hunch is where a lot of my writing comes from. I think about what I am about to put on a page over and over before I feel like I have come up with a good idea. I often bounce my ideas off of other people to see if I can create something bigger and better. Only after doing all of this do I feel like I can create knowledge on my word document.
“Knowledge” to me is everything that everybody knows and is aware of in the world. Everybody has their own personal knowledge originating from their past experiences and attempts to acquire knowledge.
My writing process also includes some of what Johnson was talking about as well. I also bounce my ideas off of others to try and create a bigger or better idea to put onto paper. I also agree that new knowledge can be tricky because you never know if what you're thinking is original or if it has already been thought of. However, I think that if you're talking about personal knowledge, thinking of a new idea that you have never thought of before should be somewhat easier since we are only in our teens and have so much more knowledge to acquire throughout our entire lifetimes.
DeleteYour point about new knowledge is very interesting. I never thought that someone who discover a new knowledge is likely discovering something already known. It is indeed challenging to find out if a knowledge is new or not.
DeleteI like what you were saying about TV's being new mediums of innovation, but I think they also make people create new ideas. The idea for the flat screen TV or the 3D TV of course stems off of the TV, but they had to think of a new idea for those. Technology and products can be tricky because what is new? Or what is tweaked or innovated? Now, what you were saying about writing is interesting because writing isn't really a tangible object. The author has to create, almost from scratch, their own writing and argument. Of course they can piggy-back off someone else's ideas, what every student does while researching, but they can't copy them.
DeleteMy writing process is also like Johnson. I will come up with an idea then let it incubate in my head for a while and think of new ways I could improve my initial idea. Usually my first version of an idea is so small and vague in comparison to what it turns out to be.
DeleteI never thought of how 3D and flat screens as ideas coming from the initial "TV idea" but yeah, you're totally right. Every idea seems to come from a previous idea, or at least some version of it.
It is hard to come up with the new knowledge and invention. That's why Newton, and Einstein argueably have the greatest influence in the history of human. However, within the new invention, for example: e=mc^2, still have some influence from Newton’s knowledge. Oh yeah, the calculus as well. Therefore, they is no “completely” new knowledge but every new knowledge have somewhat influence or foundation from the previous knowledge.
DeleteI also forgot to mention that johnson's idea is right. We need collaboration to create a new knowledge. Human's life is short and we have limited expertise and talented.
DeleteI totally agree with you when you say that new knowledge is a tricky concept, because even if somebody comes up with an idea that they think is original, it likely has already been thought of. Because we have no way to know all knowledge that mankind know, knowledge that mankind know is infinite.
DeleteI think that ideas definitely lead to knowledge. If one is curious about a certain idea, like the theory of gravity for example, they may inquire new knowledge by researching this subject and they may come across information that they never knew before. However, I think ideas and knowledge are connected in a way where it goes both ways. I think by inquiring new knowledge, you can come across new ideas or theories as well which will always lead to new knowledge or enforce old knowledge.
ReplyDeleteThere can most definitely be new knowledge. No one can simply know everything that there is to know. I think it is very easy to spend your whole life learning new things and die without knowing everything still. As Johnson included in his video, it is easier to formulate a new idea or learn new knowledge if you collaborate and theorize with another person or group. Every person in the world knows more or less than his neighbor, meaning that you can learn something new from everyone you know.
Knowledge fits into every piece of writing, including my own. For example, if an author is trying to make his reader believe in his argument, he must show his knowledge in his writing and sound like he knows something about what he is trying to prove. Otherwise, the writing piece would be filled with nothing but opinions and even then, opinions are somewhat knowledge based.
I would define knowledge as a compilation of your experiences throughout life. Everyday people are taught new lessons, whether it is in school or just from talking to friends. Knowledge is acquired everyday even though many do not even realize this. Even the simple realization that it is time to start wearing a winter coat and pants instead of a sweater and shorts is knowledge about the weather patterns and how to dress appropriately. I think that knowledge comes from anywhere and everywhere and learning new knowledge will never stop throughout ones entire life.
I really like your turn of phrase, "No one can simply know everything that there is to know." Back in the 18th and 19th centuries, many scientists could legitimately claim to have a reasonable basic knowledge of every field of study. But there were so many things they had not yet discovered, or figured out, that even if they understood much of that era's science, there was so much they had yet to learn. And today, that is more true than ever before. With the internet, and exploration, and new technologies, we are acquiring and creating new information so quickly, that nobody could possibly absorb it all.
ReplyDeleteKnowledge is a collection of experience hence the expression-"Experience comes with age" so as we go sun up to sun down we are constantly learning because our eyes and ears are constantly absorbing information be it an ad on TV or reading a piece about the fundamental problems with the American system of Government.
DeleteI believe that good ideas lead to knowledge. Look at the space race in the 1960’s, Kennedy wanted to go to the moon and landing on the moon was planted in everyone’s minds. The idea to land on the moon meant that scientists had to learn how to get to into space and safely land on the moon. With the invention of the computer there were people trying to make their own and after awhile they created businesses. They had to learn how that idea was going to go from an idea to an actual product. Bill Gates didn’t go into creating computers knowing everything, he had to learn from failure, as well as, other people’s ideas and information.
ReplyDeleteThere can always be new knowledge. It can be a new idea that people need to research to figure out how to make it realistic or it can be new found evidence supporting or disputing a claim. Aren’t we at DU to better our knowledge and learn more? There aren’t babies like in the movie Baby Geniuses that know almost everything right in the beginning. People learn new concepts and adapt what they already know.
Knowledge fits into writing in many aspects. I have definitely changed the grammar the diction I used when I was in eighth grade or even a year ago. The more I learn, I feel, the better my writing might be. Learning how to engage a certain audience and being able to persuade them is very important and I feel that I have learned a lot on that this year.
Knowledge to me is what and how much a person knows. If I’m discussing with Richard about foreign policy and our government, I think he his pretty knowledgeable in that field. The more someone knows about a subject and understands it, the more knowledge they have. Knowing is the first step, and even in the word, knowledge.
I disagree (with a caveat); knowledge leads to good ideas. Granted the space race lead to great discoveries and troves of information, but knowledge somewhere started that space race. Essentially this is a Chicken and Egg argument. Which came first? We'll never know.
DeleteWell, see I think it depends on what you define as knowledge. If I, for example, decided that I wanted to build a better chair because my old one kept breaking, that idea to build a better chair would then propel me to learn about how chairs are made, which means I gain new knowledge. So good ideas do lead to new knowledge. But the question is would you consider the fact that I knew that my old chair kept breaking as knowledge that I knew already? Because if so, then you could indeed argue that knowledge does lead to good ideas.
DeleteI feel like there can never truly be an entirely new idea. They all seem to branch off of previous ideas, or at least a vague version of it. But there can always be new versions, I think.
DeleteGood ideas don’t lead to knowledge, it works the other way around. Knowledge leads to good ideas and the greater and more plentiful the knowledge, the greater and more plentiful the good ideas. Tons of inventions have been created throughout history and today even more inventions are being made. We live in an enormous bubble of information so exorbitant that no one person can possibly satisfy his/her thirst for knowledge. We form ideas today from our vast cornucopia of information, but we form great ideas today from the communication and discussion of those ideas.
ReplyDeleteThere can always be new knowledge, but it is harder to come by today than ever before. Throughout history, we have mined for knowledge and information more diligently than any company has ever mined for gold. We have so many basic inventions that new knowledge is limited to the great discoveries that only a few can figure out. For god sakes, the newest good idea proved the higgs boson using the world’s largest particle accelerator! Only the community working on the LHC could have found that, the rest of us just had to sit back and watch.
Knowledge fits into every nook and cranny of writing practices. Writing is the universal medium of sharing information. According to the brilliant author, Stephen King, writing is telepathy. When we write we don’t talk, we don’t see each other, and we’re not even in the same time frame, but we still imagine the same thing. It is necessary, no… It is our DUTY to take part in telepathically sharing information with each other. This way we can contribute to the infinite communal knowledge of the world. It is necessary because “no one knows everything, everybody knows something; all knowledge resides in humanity.” The communication of all the knowledge within humanity is essential for new ideas.
Knowledge is the collective intelligence known by a single body. That body is either a single person or a group of people. According to my definition, if the entire world got together to telepathically discuss the same issue, it would be an amalgamation of the most knowledge ever seen in the history of the world.
I did write that good ideas lead to knowledge but I like that you point out that knowledge leads to good ideas--this is true we have a huge sum of knowledge and lead to good ideas but the good ideas can also lead to knowledge so they compliment each other
DeleteGood ideas lead to knowledge. That is, constant flow of ideas will eventually lead to some sort of knowledge, though this knowledge must be tested and compared to already existing knowledge. Take for example, Sigmund Freud's theories of psychology. At the time no one examined the mind through abstract thoughts, his thoughts led to theories that people held to be knowledge for some time. It was only until many years later that other psychologists began to create their own ideas and disprove such theories and create the knowledge of psychology that we know today. And this cycle of good ideas and generation of knowledge for as long as people can think.
ReplyDeleteTherefore there can be new knowledge, look at all of history. Throughout time people have held different things to be true, this knowledge was generated because the people of the time thought up something and that became the norm, and as history progressed new ideas led to new beliefs or knowledge.
Knowledge is key to the writing process because without knowledge of the subject on which you are writing the piece will be impossible to write. Even if you don't know anything about the subject at hand, one must conduct research to gain knowledge on said topic--notice you are still gaining the knowledge necessary to write the piece.
To me knowledge is the sum of all the things you have learned up to this point. Take a doctor, for example, they have had years of training and schooling and we trust their knowledge in regards to our health. If one were to see an argument between a doctor and a first grader, people would generally agree with whatever the doctor says given the knowledge the doctor has accumulated throughout years of learning.
I agree completely with you about the fact that knowledge is key to the writing process. If you dont know anything about what you are writing about, you cant write. I also think that the more knowledge you have about the subject, often times the better the piece will be. You do need other things than just knowledge on the subject, yes, but it is very important if you want to write a good piece.
DeleteI would say that good ideas most definitely lead to knowledge. If you have a good idea, then you will follow up on that idea and try and make it a reality. And while you in the process of doing that, you will come across knowledge that is new to you, whether it be another way you found to do something that you hadn’t known about before, of discovering things that haven’t been discovered yet. So not only do good ideas lead to knowledge, they can also lead to new knowledge.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many things we as humans don’t know about yet. No one has been to the very bottom of the sea yet, nor have we reached the outer limits of space. There’s so much out there to discover still, plenty of new knowledge for the human race to learn.
I also think that humans need each other to acquire new knowledge. I agree with Johnson’s video. The best ideas happen when people collaborate. Look at Jenkin’s article. It is about a community that worked together to put up the spoiler boards. I doubt one person could of figured all of that out before the show aired. It needed multiple people in order for it to work. Collaborating is also how I often get my good ideas. Ill talk out my thoughts with the people around me, and they have good points that I would of never thought of. Everyone thinks differently, and will come at an idea differently. That’s why collaborating works so well, I think. Everyone has different thoughts on it.
For me, knowledge is the skills, experience and information you learn from an event. It’s something that everyone is constantly adding to, as everything we go through gives us knowledge on how to do it better next time. That includes writing. The more knowledge you have about your writing skills and how you write, the better you should write.
Knowledge is the patterns. Each of us receive information differently. The studies showed that people have different way of learning. However, we share common sense with in the same community. “…Wearing a winter coat and pants instead of a sweater and shorts.” For the different community and different environment, they probably have the different norms. Therefore, I would say that knowledge could be effect by the environments and situation. Human learns how to adopt through out our human in order to survive.
DeleteUnlike Dan and Wizzie, ChillOne has no credit in the community. The community discredited him due to the unreliable able sources and no expertise in this filed along within the community. In this case, his idea and his spoil, have no trust. According to the Theory of Knowledge, knowledge is the combination of truths and beliefs. Therefore, in case of Chillone, this is not the knowledge because no one believe in him. At least, I don’t think Chillone is a reliable source for me to trust. Linking this topic to “Do good ideas lead to knowledge,” good ideas not always lead to the good knowledge if no one has the faith in it. However, good ideas can lead to a good start and new inventions in many cases. It has to lead with trust. Within the right talent and right support, people can make the invention, or knowledge, easily.
ReplyDeleteKnowledge is the key for everything. A good writer has to have some level of knowledge to create a work. Why do they need knowledge? Well, the worst thing for the publisher and the author is to get discredited by someone. It does not look good for their profile and resume. More importantly, audience should receive the right information. For some genres, the unreliable sources and the false information could be obey. Harry Potter is a great example. However, the author proclaims the storyline, and provides the consistence information within the same logic.
Knowledge to me is everything that useful. It have to be reliable and have be to be logical, at least my logic. People can have the different interests which can lead to the different knowledge or interests.
As much as I want to ignore Chillone, he spoiled the episode. I can’t stop myself for reading it. He could be someone who’s playing CBS role as they were Jenknin said in the reading. Within some group of people, Chillone has some credit. We can deny that some of his predictions are right. Therefore, his idea could argue as a theory, within his some group of people.
What do you guys think about Chillone?
DeleteI feel like good ideas can possibly lead to knowledge, but not always. It depends on what you do with that good idea. Say you have a really good idea, totally genius, and you tell your friends about it and they’re like, “Oh yeah, that’s cool.” But that’s it. There. It’s over. Your good idea did not lead to any more amount of knowledge you had before your good idea. However, if you took your good idea and did some research about the topic or had an engaging conversation with an educator about your good idea, you would get more knowledge. As stated in Jenkins blog, all knowledge exists within humanity. Intelligence must be collective. One person cannot hold all knowledge. It must be in a community because everybody knows something so they all share and that is the way the group can master all knowledge.
ReplyDeleteIn my personal opinion, there can never be completely new knowledge. As Sam said, at one point in time, someone most likely came up with it before you. That being said, there can always be a newer, better, more thought through version of knowledge. A small idea could be thought about or discussed so much and just always come up with new ideas about it. Take the iPod for example. How many versions are there of the iPod? There have been so many like the Nano, the Touch, the iPhone. And iPods aren’t even the origin of that knowledge. Before the iPod there was the cassette, CD, Walkman, stereo, jukebox, etc. The knowledge was knowing that you can listen to music, but the new version of the knowledge is the iPod.
In writing practices, knowledge is very present. Before you begin writing, you know basic knowledge about whatever topic you plan to discuss in your paper. You know grammar, genre, style, tone, every writing element that comes naturally to you is still considered knowledge because at some point you were taught it and use it. In my writing practices, I research my topic thoroughly and think about it for a long time. Much like the Johnson video, my ideas can be compared to a turtle. The idea incubates in my head and I continue to go back to it then move on and go back again before I start writing. I think knowledge takes time, especially when it comes to writing.
I would define knowledge as information one learns and obtains over time.
I believe that knowledge is the foundation of good ideas; meanwhile, good ideas lead to knowledge.
ReplyDeleteWhen we come up good ideas, we need knowledge to back up our logical thought. If you are not based on any knowledge, how can you prove your ideas are good? How can you persuade people, or even yourself, that your ideas are good? People, including your own, think that the idea is good only because they believe the idea is persuasive. And only logical thought and argument, which is come from knowledge, can make things persuasive.
Good ideas also lead to knowledge. For example, many countries are advocate develop new energy first, and then they start to study and investigate new technology, which needs may new knowledge, to put into effect. See, they come up god ideas, and then the good ideas lead to knowledge. Back to the reading, the collective intelligence or knowledge community is kind of a way that good ideas lead to knowledge. People in the community use their good ideas to collect information to form collective intelligence or knowledge community.
I think that there can always be new knowledge.
For the mankind, like the picture Kara showed, knowledge is the intersection of truth and belief. I totally agree with this idea. All the truth that people do not know yet has the possibility to become new knowledge.
On the other hand, for individuals (not the mankind), new knowledge is frequently obtained. When we read books, watch TV, go to class or even just chat with friends, we almost obtain new knowledge all the time. Chinese has a saying, “knowledge is boundless”. There is infinitely knowledge that we do not know, and we cannot even know all the knowledge that mankind know (for now). Like Sam mentioned, new knowledge is a paradoxical concept. When you figure out some knowledge that you think it is “new”. And it might have already been founded. This also account for knowledge that mankind know is infinite, and individuals can never know all the knowledge. Therefor, there is always a space for new knowledge, and new knowledge is anywhere for individuals.
Knowledge can fit into in my writing practice anywhere. The most basic one, when I come up my structure or decide the format of my writing, it needs knowledge to support me. Without the knowledge of writing, I will have no idea what structure or format I should use. Additionally, I recently learned audience. With this knowledge, I always remember keeping my audience in mind so that I can make my writing more engaging. Furthermore, with the knowledge of rhetorical appeals, I consciously can use them to make my argument stronger and more engaging.
As I said before, for my understanding, the definition of knowledge is the intersection of truth and belief. However, for me personally, the definition of knowledge is everything I experience, see, read, and encounter that can helps me to come up good ideas in the future.
Good ideas can lead to knowledge, but do not necessarily do so, and do not have to do so or try to do so to be good ideas. An idea that is to attempt to gather new information, or one that is a means to do so, assuming it does not cross boundaries like privacy violation, and that the information would provides some advantage or utility, can be said to be a good idea. However, ideas that are not had or used for the sake of information can also be good; For instance, when you are hungry it is usually a good idea to acquire and consume food, with or without receiving new information as a result of this.
ReplyDeleteYes, there can be new knowledge as ideas that have not previously been conceived of, and information that has not previously been gathered, yet can be conceived of and gathered, do seem to exist.
Knowledge is a necessary component of writing as to be able to write you must know how to do so, what to write about, and what to say about it. Further, knowledge is a potential result of writing as well as a requirement of it, as reading the works of another can provide new knowledge to the reader, and analysis of writing can provide new insight to anyone.
Knowledge is information possessed by an individual. This is not to be confused with wisdom, experience or other similar things.
As Daisy points out, the idea involved in something can be that which is being sought as well as the means to attain it, and ideas and knowledge are interconnected in a web of correlation.
I thank Paul for remembering and mentioning that knowledge can come from an enterprise regardless of the successfulness of it. New ideas can be had from the analysis of failure at least as much as from success.