Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Let's Have a Moment, by Jurgen Famula


Moment #1:

The first major moment that I had in during first five weeks of class was the introduction of the idea of the rhetorical situation proposed by Bitzer. Before reading Bitzer’s proposal, I had never thought to view rhetoric as being inexorably tied to the situation in which the rhetoric was created. Seeing rhetoric in this light has changed the way I plan out my writing. Before this class, I would only consider the prompt of the assignment at hand without considering the greater context in which assignment exists. Now I plan out any piece of writing I compose with full awareness of the exigence that I am writing to address and the constants placed on my writing by myself and situation.

 The introduction of the rhetorical situation also was useful in that it helped me form a more solid definition of rhetoric as whole. In my previous writing class, rhetoric was often discussed as some-what of a nebulous concept, we would talk about it and its parts, such as the rhetorical appeals, but I could never visualize what rhetoric was in its most basic form before I came to this class.

Moment #2:

My second moment came after reading the “Rhetoric: Then and Now” piece by Crowly and Hawhee. The history of rhetoric was another area in which my knowledge was lacking prior to taking this class. I knew that rhetoric could be traced back to ancient Greece and that many of the famous Greek thinkers when rhetoricians but I had no knowledge of how much the practice of rhetoric had changed since that time. Particularly striking to me was how rhetoric and argument have almost become dirty words in America today as well as the idea that debate in American society has devolved in to hallow shouting matches that serve to entertain more than they seek to inform as can be seen in Jon Stewart’s appearance on CNN’s “debate” show, Crossfire.
 The full video is thirteen minutes long and you can skip 8:45 to 9:45 as it is the lead in to a commercial break.

I also found the shifting roles of the rhetorical appeals to be quite interesting, especially in the case of logos and the use of facts in rhetorical argument. I was quite surprised that the ancient did not view the use of empirical facts as strong method with which to argue one’s point. I suppose my surprise stems from my background as a natural science major who prefers to see quantifiable data when I need to make a decision. This reading, however showed me the weaknesses of the over reliance on cold fact and first hand counts that permeates modern discourse.

Moment #3:


My third moment this quarter came to me while I was writing the final draft of my newsletter. The assignment required me to write for a more general audience that I had typically written for in the past. As writing has never been my strong suit, my only major pieces of writing tend to be those that are writing for classes such as research papers and lab reports. As a result, the vast majority of my writing has been in academic voice. This has led to my writing sounding overly formal and monotone. I did not fully realize this until was rereading the draft of my newsletter. I found that it sounded like a robot had wrote it. The tone of writing seemed cold and the piece lacked a consistent flow. The issues with the piece’s flow could have come my tendency to what I am writing mid-sentence and then deleting the sentence and starting over, which stops my train of thought from continuing from one idea to the next unheeded. Thankfully, the news column assignment has given me the opportunity to refine my writing process and another chance to improve my voice as a writer. 

3 comments:

  1. I am with you on how astonishing it was to see the Greek not use logos as a strong tool in arguing. I never understood that, probably because there wasn't too much actual scientific data and instead more reason of the Gods. I also thought it was interesting to see how rhetoric is seen in todays opinion compared to what it actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that realizing that what we write is inexorably linked to who we write it too, is one of the most important realizations to have as a writer. While I'm not sure you need to know who exactly is going to end up reading what you write, it's still important to try and realize who might read it. And being aware of this can improve what you write, since you can direct it towards those specific people. I also really enjoyed learning about the history of rhetoric. How's usage has changed, and where it comes from, is such an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jurgen,

    I like how you brought up the ancient Greek's view on facts. It does tell us that we should not rely solely on facts for our arguments, but they are incredibly important nowadays to construct a positive argument even when not writing scientific papers. Political arguments along with legal arguments also require an argument heavily based on logical facts. Overall, I thought that your reflection of the class thus far covered some key things we learned. Good job.

    ReplyDelete