Throughout the past quarter, you have been discussing the process of writing and your identity as a writer. For this last (!) blog post, I want you to discuss who you believe you are as a writer. To do this I want you to have a little fun, so I'm not looking for you to do a traditional 250-400 word response. What I want is you to think about how you could represent the characteristics that define you as a writer that you have developed and honed this quarter (and those that you came in with).
Some suggestions for ways to create this:
*A job wanted ad or a personal
*A poem
*Through a series of images
*an obit
*a short short (short fiction piece)
*a song
The possibilities are very open. You can respond back to this post OR you can create a new post.
This should be as long as it needs to be to get your point across. I should see elements of you----so I should be able to get a sense of who wrote what without even looking at the author's name.
Due by Thursday, November 14, 2013 by class time.
**All names were changed in order to respect the identity of the real characters.
ReplyDeleteOnce upon a time, there was a girl named Brittany. She struggled with writing all her life, not quite knowing where to start with a paper or how to form a conclusion for that matter. However, with an ambitious character and an open mind, she registered for a writing class her first quarter at college. She didn’t know what to expect. She wasn’t sure if she would need to reinvent herself to become the next Ernest Hemingway or if she could still let her own personality shine through her papers.
After her first few classes, she caught on quickly that she needed to amp up her writing, but could still have individuality within the paper. She learned fancy terms like “rhetorical analysis” that she’d never heard of. She spent hours at the library as she slaved away on big projects like newsletters and columns. She also wrote a blog twice a week. Although the workload was pretty heavy and the content was challenging, she enjoyed herself. She would look forward to Tuesdays and Thursdays because that meant she had writing class.
She walked away from the class retaining so much knowledge that she didn’t have before. The difference with this class, too, is that the knowledge stuck. It was all transferred so she could use it for future use. She loved the idea that she challenged herself and came out a better writer. She boasted to her friends and told them they absolutely had to take that class. Even though she is not the new Ernest Hemingway, she is proud of herself for being able to improve her writing skills. So whoever says, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” has clearly never taken WRIT 1122.
I start the New Year with a desert mind, parched with nonsense and dying from lost time.
ReplyDeleteCrawling over sand dunes of essays, lack of creativity leaves me dazed.
WRIT1122, word’s garden at last! The soils are rich with rhetoric grass!
Rhetorical Situation stalks rise, ripe with the fruit to make my writing thrive.
Yancey’s Reflection kept the garden fresh, constant improvement made things better yet.
Genres customized the garden layout, my writing makes sense now without a doubt.
Pathos is key to a healthy new crop, when added to writing emotions drop.
Finally “I” can be used once again, personalized pieces flow from my pen.
My mind, now a garden, grows every day. Now, from writing, you can’t keep me away.
HELP WANTED – AWESOME WRITER
ReplyDeleteI am a college student named Poggi who sucks at writing and I want help writing my final paper in English on how Shakespeare’s Hamlet is symbolic of ghosts trying to take over the world. I need someone who is not afraid to think outside the box because I really think this theory has some substance. There is definitely some sort of force driving me to think this and want to write about it, but I cannot figure out what it is. I’ve written and rewritten some drafts, but I get too frustrated and can’t seem to see what I am doing wrong. I just know it feels wrong. I can’t even convince myself that the theory has substance after I try to read my argument. I have trouble making it logical, emotional, and credible. My writing might has well have been written with invisible ink because nothing on the paper makes sense. Again, I need someone who believes in me and can help me push this innovative theory out to the community. This is not the easiest task, but I need an open mind that is willing to consider new possibilities in their writing and thinking abilities.
(phone rings)
Poggi: Hello?
Sam: Yo Poggi, I gotchu man. I can make that ghost theory happen. Come to Nagel floor 2 at 4.
Poggi: Perrrrrrrrrrf.
The Trapper.
ReplyDeleteMe as a writer,
I become like a trapper
In the footsteps of a badger or a beaver or even a tiger.
I know that for the first one, I have to use my dagger,
For the second one, I have to blow into my peashooter,
And for the last one, I have to draw my revolver.
In order to capture each prey, this way is easier.
I know the process needs to be longer,
But I learned the keys to organize my work better,
And finally I act like a shooter.
Now, my appeals are clearer,
My dexterity and skills are stronger
And my weapons are more precise than ever.
HELP WANTED: SKILLED ANALYTICAL WRITER
ReplyDeleteI am a student in college looking for a skilled writer able to write in multiple different genres. The applicant must have experience with analyzing novels and movies and obviously must enjoy writing. I am looking for an organized person that is good with time management and the ability to work under slight pressure. The ability to use emotion and opinions in their writing is very much required and the applicant also must be credible and knowledgeable in multiple fields of study with a college degree. The applicant must be creative and an “outside of the box” thinker. I would prefer a writer who is willing to argue points that are uncommon and against the norm. I need a writer who is willing to try new styles of writing and who is determined and dedicated to writing reviews of articles, movies, restaurants and more. Any writer who would enjoy writing newsletters, columns, blogs and rhetorical analysis’ is perfect for this job. The payment for this job is a good grade every week and the satisfaction of improving their writing significantly. The commitment to this job is fulfilling and time consuming, but it pays off with the amount of improvement displayed in only a few weeks. Anyone with these qualities who is looking for a fulfilling job can reach me at ineedwriters@gmail.com or at 303-777-7777.
Who am I as a writer? Does anyone really know?
ReplyDeleteWhat can I write as a writer, just about anything I’d think so
That’s different than before… before I walked through that fourth floor door
What skills do I have as a writer? I have more now
From newsletters to columns,
To rhetorical analysis’s and blog post
These are the way I became so great
I know Bitzer and Yancy, who I’ve read with care
I’ve gotten many skills from them that weren’t always there
I now can write clearer, and use rhetorical tools without looking like a fool
But even though I have all this new knowledge
I cant put a definite definition on who I am as a writer because
I'm still going to college.
Wild emotions pour from my keyboard.
ReplyDeleteTempered now by logos and ethos,
They swirl into arguments
That Bitzer helped create
And Yancey helped tame.
There is still emotion in my writing,
But it no longer runs rampant all over the page.
It heeds me now,
And has made my writing grow
Look at the colors,
ReplyDeleteThe flowers inside my head were speaking to me again.
I asked myself where the I could find the key to the door.
Inside my head I wander around, aimlessly.
Or am I?
"Write your words on the paper," the Great Spirit in the Sky told me.
My hands are one with my mind.
HELP WANTED
ReplyDeleteI am a college student who is looking for a skilled writer to help me out with my writing.
I am a freshman, and I totally have no idea what is writing, yet. Before I turned in my first paper, I thought I am a quite great writer. However, I was dumbfounded when I received my grade of the first paper. I got a C! I have no idea what the problem is with my paper. I think it is fun and I put lots of efforts on it. Therefore, I talked with my professor. She told me that my paper was not engaging and lack of credibility. And my organization was kind of massy, so she could not follow my ideas sometimes. She suggested that I can establish some rhetorical appeals, pathos, logos and ethos, to support my arguments. And I also need to keep my audience in mind so that I can figure out what genre, tone and content I should use.
After talked with her, I reread my paper. It was true that my paper was not persuasive because there were too many personal opinions in my paper. I did not aware that not everyone can understand what I am saying. I do need some concrete arguments to support my claims rather than just tell people how persuasive they are.
However, it is so hard for me to consider all these elements when I am writing, and I have not even heard about pathos, ethos and logos before. I know my paper needs to be enhanced by using these rhetorical appeals, but I don’t know how to approach.
Therefore, I am l eagerly looking for a skilled writer who knows how to establish those rhetorical appeals and how to use proper genre, tone and content.
Anyone is willing to offer help can reach me at writing123@gmail.com. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRq7lLawQB4
ReplyDeleteI’m pretty sure all of us have heard the cartoon called Hercules. Hercules goes from an unknown, awkward kid to a super hero. Well, my writing story is just like that maybe with the few exceptions. Just like Hercules was introduced to his trainer, I took Writing 1122. Through out the quarter, we did study many theories that will sharper me as a writer and increase my strength as a writer. Do you guys remember when Hercules did the training and overcome all those difficulties? I did the same process in order to become super “Petey,” you know what I mean. However, the only different in me and Hercules was that I’m still searching for my true identity. I felt like my identity at this point is more of a “critical thinking” type of writer because my ability to view certain problems in different prospective. My only concern is my ability to express my thought and my view. With the more training that I will have, I have the confident that one day I will become a true super Petey.